Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Take Five: Vittles and Vices

Vasilis is a well known restaurateur in Madison, perhaps best known for the old Mercury Lounge, which stood next to the Bartell Theatre on Mifflin St. It was closed down after sustaining heavy smoke damage in the fire that claimed Underground Kitchen a few years ago. This bar was my old stomping ground during my carefree undergrad days, so I was very sad when it had to close, but very very glad when Vasilis opened a new restaurant so conveniently close to my house!!

I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way, but sometimes, I just have to have a gyros. Nothing else will satisfy when you really want this perfect street food, and Vasilis has you covered. There are even two types of gyros: traditional and Athenian. Basically, do you want cucumber sauce or cucumber slices and a vinaigrette sauce? I'm a sucker for the cucumber sauce myself, so I went traditional. It hit the spot perfectly, and the convenience of the take-out can't be beat. Also, the hand cut fries are out of this world, and the sriracha aioli is worth writing home about!

We ordered take-out, but grabbed some martinis while we waited. These martinis are delicious, but potent!! I'd come here to sip a martini again anytime, but trying to pound them down once your food arrives is no fun!
....or very fun!

The atmosphere is very much that of a neighborhood gathering place, so come on down and become one of the regulars, because after one bite, and you'll be hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment